Monday, March 28, 2011

Business Dynamics and a changing world

When I first came up with the name Plant Nappers as a business name, I thought it was original enough to get me noticed.  It made me and many who heard it laugh as well.  Unfortunately, I am finding out now that I am emersing myself in the horticultural world, not everyone has quite the same sense of humor as I do. Imagine that!  Who would have thought that the name would be taken so literally.  Umm, ok I did. That little giggle for me should have been a sign, but I overlooked it, or perhaps my blinders needed adjusting. 

A few weekends ago, we had our first public sale of daffodils that had been rescued.  It was recieved well and we made a few bucks.  The unfortunate side of this is how many times I had to either 1) explain what a napper was, 2) explain that I did not steal the plants to resell them, or 3) what our intent was in starting the business.  One of the three of those questions I was happy to explain at any time and in great detail.  The other two became a bit annoying the longer the day went on.  The first person who asked me, a neighbor, planted the seed in my head, and everytime someonelse asked the seed was fertilized and watered well. 

A little time passed and another close friend, with deep roots in the botanical world, informed me that there are people out there that will consider you a thief if you pick a flower or a seed pod from their garden, even if they had no intent on propogating it themselves.  He told me to be very weary of using my plant napper name in some of the horticultural circles.  OK, now I have just composted the heck out of my seed growing like kudzu in my brain.  I was not happy. 

So what would be the next step in this story you might ask?  You guessed it, come up with a new name, while retaining the identity of what I do, and what my target audience is.  J and I kicked so many names back and forth, (I am not sure there were as many kicks in the world cup.)  I kept hearing part of a comedians skit named Eddie Izzard talking about coming up with the name Inglebert Humperdink.  If you don't know what I am referring to, look it up, He is halarious...(another clue to my sense of humor)

Back and forth we went, always trying different things, different languages etc.....JS told of us paridisio del sol was a play on Parkinsons name Paridisio meaning paradise or playground and del sol in the sun. Park-In-Sun= Parkinson.  Trying to be as whitty as him caused me hours of trbulations. 

Driving home after meeting many very prominant people in the Hort world, I knew then the name had to change.  There is time for humor and I will find a place for it, but a company name is the first and perhaps the only chance you will have to get a new client.  This is not the time to be offending someone or cause them to gather their plants like a mother hen heards her bitties to her when trouble shows its head.

I will unveil the new name over time, but it clearly identifies what we do, in a professional way.  A way that doesn't cause me to blush, or studder over the name.  I love the new name, but for those of you here from the begging I will still be the Plant Napper...MUwhahahha!

I will still include some whimsy and light heartedness to our plan, just not in a name.

Anyone got a guess as to what we will call it?

Whats in a name, a rose by any other name still smells as sweet.......ws

No comments:

Post a Comment